Springtime is a rebirth, a renewal of life, bringing with it beautiful sunshine, crisp air and buzzing insects. Nothing shows this season off quite like a garden. Flowers burst into life in an array of different colours, new shoots start to grow, and greenery becomes lush and vibrant. But can you still enjoy spring and all of its glory if you don’t have a garden? The answer is yes! You can celebrate the new season by planting your very own patio garden. All you need are some terracotta pots, a growing medium and your favourite spring flower bulbs to transform your patio into the garden of your dreams.
Have you got your terracotta pots ready to go? Before planting anything, remember to prepare them properly – they have needs too!
1. Order your terracotta pots
2. Soak them in warm, soapy water overnight. Add a cup of bleach to the water to reduce the chance of spreading plant disease.
3. Rinse the pots after cleaning.
4. If you don’t plant anything in them immediately after cleaning, soak the pot again before the planting process. Soaking the pots helps the clay retain moisture, which keeps the soil from drying too quickly after you plant bulbs, seeds or seedlings.
5. Position your pots before planting anything in them (they become very heavy with soil inside).
6. Set each pot on clay “feet” or bricks. This allows for air circulation under the pot, preventing roots from sitting in water and rotting, and keeps the clay from overheating and drying through contact with cement or gravel.
7. Cover holes at the bottom of the pots with gravel to prevent soil from washing out when you water your plants.
8. Fill the pots with Pokon Potting Soil, and leave a few centimetres of space below the rims.
8. Soak the potting soil to prepare for planting, making sure the soil is moist using our Moisture Meter.
9. Your pots are now ready for your spring bulbs!
So you’ve decided to add some terracotta pots to your outdoor setting. But have you got your bulbs sorted? There are so many stunning varieties to choose from that grow in the springtime. Which will you choose for your garden?
The Hemerocallis, or Little Pumpkin, produces the most gorgeous deep yellow flowers – absolutely stunning on patios and balconies. Another great choice for your home is the bright orange Clivia Miniata. It’s known as the Bush Lily as it is indigenous to the forests of Kwazulu-Natal, Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga and Swaziland. We also love Arum Lilies (Zantedeschia) for their striking appearance and wide variety of colours. Another plant to add to your patio garden is the Bearded Iris. There is no flower quite like this one, with its many varieties, delicate-looking petals and unique shape.
Take good care of your pot plants so they stay beautiful all season long. We recommend Pokon Flowering Plant Food and Pokon Coco Growing Medium for a flourishing spring garden. And if your pot plants are indoors, give them an extra boost of nutrients with Pokon Universal Liquid Plant Food.
Loving the idea of brightly-coloured flowers in terracotta pots? Then make sure you have everything you need to bring your spring garden vision to life. If you have any questions about our spring bulbs or terracotta pots, get in touch with us – we’d be happy to help!